Donate to Julie's
Connect with us on Facebook

Demographics

Evidence of Effectiveness

Children’s Services:

  • 100% of our Montessori graduates entering 1st grade consistently test above grade level.
  • 100% enrolled tested at 80-90th percentile this past year.
  • 100% of our children graduate from our Montessori preschool to first grade with consistently high levels of motivation, ability and academic preparation. Children who graduate from our program are frequently the first in the family to finish high school, with many more going on to college and a more secure future.

Adult Services:

  • 80% of adults in our program show improvement in LIFE SKILLS according to pre and post testing.
  • 75% of adults in our program show improvement in MATH AND SCIENCE according to pre and post testing.
  • 70% of adults in our program show improvement in LITERACY AND WRITING SKILLS according to pre and post testing.
  • 80% of adults in our program make progress in the following according to pre and post testing:

* Decision making skills, especially in the areas of maintaining wellness and sobriety.

* The ability to make and keep commitments

* Advocacy for their children

* Maintaining a stable and nurturing home environment for their growth and development and for their child’s wellbeing and development.

Total Served:

Currently we serve over 200 families from the Greater Boston area: 55 in Preschool, 35 in Core Adult, 10 in Flex Adult, 25 in our Alumnae program, and 85 in Emergency Support and Counseling. Since 1974, we’ve served over 2,700 families.

Our participants are 33% Caucasian, 27% African American, 36% Hispanic, and 3% Asian.

Families come to Julie’s from South Boston, Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Charlestown, East Boston, Roxbury, Brighton, Hyde Park, Cambridge, Braintree, Weymouth, Revere and Quincy. Families that travel from outside of Greater Boston may have been transferred out of Boston due to the shelter system, but continue to remain at Julie’s. 48% of our families this year live in public or Section 8 Housing, 22% live in shelters and 30% live with family or are “couch surfing,” moving from place to place without fixed address–this is a total of 52% homeless.

In addition, a significant number of families in our program struggle with addiction and recovery issues, suffer from PTSD or depression, have undiagnosed learning disabilities or depression, and deal with legal issues such as restraining orders and custody concerns. All are committed to changing their families’ lives and creating a better life for their children.